||Student Success Advisor
||Head of Admissions and Marketing
||No supervisory duties
Student Success advising is a developmental process which considers students’ academic needs and goals, interests, prior education, and previous workforce and life experience. Student Success Advisors (SSAs) promote positive student outcomes, program satisfaction based on student goals, and retention by referring students in need of additional resources. The primary objective is to assist students with making informed decisions concerning their educational goals. Additionally, once a student has started a program at our college, SSAs are available for students who are interested in counselling and assistance regarding career and vocational decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Increase student success, student satisfaction, and informed decision making
- Educate students about the content and structure of postsecondary programs at both the college and university level to assist with academic planning and continuing studies.
- Supports and encourages confidence in academic decision making by promoting student independence in academic processes and regulations.
- Consults with students to audit progress through programs or specific challenges.
- Works with the College’s Campus Director/Assistant Campus Director/Campus Coordinator to plan and execute student appreciation events and graduations ceremonies.
- Assists, when needed, with proctoring and interpreting equivalency and alternative academic entrance exams to determine admission to appropriate programs.
- Meets with each student throughout the student lifecycle in accordance with College policies (regarding frequency and procedures) to preemptively identify and resolve concerns and challenges to minimize stress, conflict, and to prevent escalation or disengagement.
- Provides students with information about alternatives, limitations and possible consequences of academic decisions (e.g., dropping and withdrawing from courses; changing programs; and/or, transferring institutions).
- Mentor students on methods and strategies for being a successful and self-driven learner in an accelerated postsecondary environment.
- Assists students, either at their request or through internal monitoring methods, in the monitoring and evaluation of their educational progress.
- Works with students considering withdrawing from their programs in accordance with the College’s Student Cancellation Policy.
- Maintains accurate and detailed student notes and records in the College’s Student Records Management system, with the goal of maintaining accuracy, consistency for decision making and future reference.
- Participate in and support students with accommodations/ success plans
- Meets with students with accommodations plans to create an initial implementation plan, and for periodic check-ins to determine success and suitability of original accommodations plan, and, when needed, work with students to modify their plans.
- Meets with instructors to ensure appropriate understanding and implementation of accommodations plans, as well as to provide support and resources to instructors on how to meet accommodations plans.
- Provides support to instructors on creatively brainstorming new approaches to providing learning through a universal design approach.
- Meet with and counsel students who reach out for support in dealing with the stresses and/or challenges of being a career college student.
- When required, assists with the development of student progress reports and learning contracts
- Refer students to other departments, agencies, institutions and services
- Refers students to available on- and off-campus resources to meet individual needs.
- Makes appropriate referrals to students perceived to require additional supports.
- Acts as an advocate for students as appropriate.
- Researches, develops, maintains, and updates community resource material to refer or direct students for assistance.
- Assist students in understanding academic regulations, policies, procedures and programs
- Research and develop resources to assist students with various aspects of their postsecondary success and long-term planning (e.g., with how to avoid defaulting on loans, with how to prepare for a job opportunity, etc.).
- Researches accurate and up-to-date academic information about the College’s certificate and diploma programs.
- Remains up-to-date on changes to courses and program requirements (including placements), course scheduling, admission and graduation requirements through consistent communication with Academics Department/Campus Director/Director of Marketing and Admissions.
- Maintains program information files for comparable postsecondary programming.
- Participates directly in orientation, training, development, and RAP sessions and initiatives for students.
- Research and provide input into the development of policies, processes and programs
- Remains current regarding academic and administrative policies, procedures and requirements for CTS Canadian Career College and Modern College of Hairstyling and Esthetics programs and university transfer programs (where appropriate NAU).
- Provides input to internal contacts regarding changes to the Academic Calendar and academic course schedule.
- Provides information to internal and external contacts regarding policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains operating procedures that minimize the likelihood and impact of negative student experiences.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external partners to promote student success
- Works collaboratively with the Campus Director/Assistant Campus Director/Campus Coordinator on administrative decisions regarding late student additions (past start date), expulsions, withdrawals, and student rewrites and extensions.
- Represents the Student Success department on various internal and external committees.
- Develops strong relationships with corresponding departments to promote and implement strong communication channels for information and resource sharing in order to benefit student success.
- Provides recommendations for continuous improvement to all services for student success advising purposes and integrates practices and technology aimed at improving student service and satisfaction.
- Assist with Student Employment and Loan Management
- Work with graduates and students who leave their programs early to assist with their post-program needs related to career attainment and development, loan and repayment management, etc.
- Provides counselling and referrals to assist students with the career development process, including clarifying objectives and obtaining occupational information.
- Establishes and maintains effective and cooperative working relationships with students, alumni, faculty, employers, and the general public.
- Assists students with career development and planning process, including obtaining information on companies, current opportunities for employment and hiring practices, and making the transition from school to career.
- In collaboration with admissions staff and program coordinators, assist with programs and initiatives related to career-specific resources and opportunities for students (i.e., participating in updating job posting boards, emailing graduates with job opportunities, taking part in career fairs, etc.).
- When applicable, maintains accurate and up-to-date records in the Student Management System related to graduate employment.
- Participates in individual and team professional development.
- Remains current with technology used to provide advising services.
- Diploma or degree in a related field with preference given to degree in Education or Humanities
- Experience in counselling, advising, or related careers in education or support services is preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google applications, and Skype is preferred
Requirement: The successful candidate will be required to show proof of a valid G class driver’s licence.
Core Competencies: • Building Rapport • Client/Customer Awareness • Compassion • Interpersonal Relations • Listening Skills • Organizing/Planning Ability • Personal Work Ethic • Problem Solving • Collaboration
Position Competencies: • Analytical skills • Assertiveness • Attention to detail • Conflict resolution skills • Consultative skills • High energy levels • Flexibility/adaptability • Initiative • Innovation/creativity • Leadership skills • Mentoring/Coaching • Motivation • Strong oral/written communication • Sensitivity • Tact • Team skills • Computer skills • Tenacity • Tolerance of ambiguity • Tolerance of stress • Integrity
- Position location: North Bay, Ontario, two campus locations (frequent travel between local campuses required); in addition, travel to local community agencies is required 10% of the time, and travel to PD opportunities may be required periodically.
- Work environment: Office position that may require working outdoors during college events such as student appreciation days or other outreach opportunities.
- Hours of work: 40 hours per week
- Schedule of work is typically 8:30am – 5:00pm; this position operates on a flex schedule and at times could require work to be completed beyond these hours.
- This position will require the candidate to answer student inquiries in the evenings and weekends.
- If flexible schedule is not possible then time in lieu will be given.
REPORTING: Reports to Head of Admissions and Marketing
Works directly/indirectly with various internal departments/personnel including: Students, Admissions/Financial Aid, Campus Directors, Program Coordinators, Registrar/ Financial Aid Administrator, Faculty, and Other Staff.
External contacts: General Public, Social service agencies (employment/disability/counselling service providers etc.) Prospective Students, Parents; High School counsellors, Principals and Teachers; Funding Agencies; College and University Registrars, Academic Advising Staff and Faculty Staff.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the position and location that you are applying for in the subject line.
CTS Canadian Career College and Modern College of Hairstyling and Esthetics is an equal opportunity employer.